Albright Manor History
In 1953, Reverend Raymund Albright donated his family farm property to the United Church of Canada, for purposes of establishing affordable housing, in a retirement community, for pensioners of the United Church of Canada. Miss Elsie Watt made a donation of $100,000.00 dollars and construction of Albright Gardens commenced.
Albright Gardens, a not-for-profit community of 40 homes and 5 bachelor apartments, opened in 1955 with first homes located on Watt Circle. The balance of the homes were built subsequent to that date. Today Albright Gardens continues to operate as a separate entity and is owned and managed by the United Church of Canada.
In 1966, Albright Manor, a 234 bed, charitable, not-for-profit Long-Term Care Home was built in recognition of the needs of those persons who were no longer able to maintain a self contained household. The requirements for nursing/medical care, and assistance with activities of daily living were the purpose for which Albright Manor was established. It was supported by the Ministry of Community and Social Services up to 1993 at which time provincial support was transferred to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
In 2002, Albright Manor, built in 1966, was replaced with a state of the art, 232 bed Long-Term Care Home, and relocated to the corner of Hillside Drive and Mountain Road. The original Albright Manor was then demolished. Albright Manor is operated by a Board of Directors representing the community, and is financially supported, regulated, and licensed by the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
This state-of-the-art facility was one of the first Long-Term Care Homes constructed to meet the 1998 Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care design standards. Eight home areas of 29 residents offer medical, nursing, and continuing care in a home-like setting. Residents enjoy a café, worship centre, activity areas, lounges, a library, and therapeutic gardens.
The investment in seniors by Albright Centre and the Ministry of Long-Term Care in this new facility, provided the backbone and anchor for seniors care on the Albright Centre site into the future.
In 2005, Construction of the Albright Memorial Park was completed, including the construction of a 450 metre looped trail, two bridges on either end of the trail crossing over a natural water course; a viewing deck built into the water course, and 19 park benches located alongside the trail. Trees consisting of a variety of native species were planted along the trail. This was made possible through the generous donations of the Albright Foundation, the Friends of Albright, the Watkins Fund of the United Church of Canada, and the memorial gifts of many donors.
In 2014, Albright Manor, in its 12th year, received an interior face lift under the 3 R’s Project – Refresh, Renew and Replace program, providing upgrades to all resident Home Areas, the Manor entrance, Café and Gathering Place and included painting, carpeting, vinyl flooring, tile accents, ceiling tiles, wall and corner protection, cabinetry and millwork.
Albright Centre is providing services and/or care for approximately 270 seniors on site. Albright Centre employs over 300 staff and receives support from over 200 volunteers.